Whew, long title. I almost didn’t blog these four interchangeable items, but I love how the Marfy top and white shorts came out. I had to share. These two outfits make use of old fabrics (the tops) and new (the shorts). And I now own three pairs of non-running shorts (all Pattern Runway). (Everything was worn and washed a few times before picture time, my pressing needs some work!)
Top: New Look 6483 View C
I need more tops in my wardrobe, so one day while browsing at JoAnns, I picked up this New Look pattern. It’s pretty basic, and pretty easy. I meant to make view E, but cut out C by mistake. The fabric is a leftover linen print (Marcy Tilton) from when I made this summer dress a couple of years ago. When I was cleaning out my fabric closet, I found I had one more yard. The fabric has a bit of body, but works with this loose-fitting top.
I had no problems with the instructions, and I will repeat this basic, but with modifications. First, the neckline is higher than I expected, but you don’t need the button/loop closure (or hook/eye) in the back, at least for views C, D, and E. Second, I don’t really find the straight hemline with split side seams a flattering look for me, so I may convert the hem to a curved shirt-tail hem next time. Third, I suspect the boxy look will be more body conscious with a drapey fabric (recommended on the envelop).
Top: Marfy 1913 Repeat
I loved the Marfy top the first time I made it – but I didn’t wear it often because it felt small. I must have washed it and shrunk it. When I compared it to the pattern pieces to make this one, it was much smaller than the pieces!
This time, though, I did add some width. Unconventionally, I added width at the center front and center back at the fold line (shifted the pattern off the fold by 1/4 inch). I also added two inches to the length. Once again, I didn’t gather the hemline with elastic, but left it to tuck in to shorts/pants/skirt.
The fabric is a silk cotton voile from Milly that I purchased in 2014 from Gorgeous Fabrics. It was softer and more sheer than I wanted for the original project, so was stashed. It was still sheer and soft, of course, so I decided to line the top with an off white silk crepe de chine. This made finishing the keyhole/slit opening in the back as well as the armholes far simpler. I LOVE THIS TOP! It’s pretty on, cheerful in the very, very, hot sun. It even held up to a complete drenching when I was caught in a downpour at my son’s outdoor swim practice last week.
It looks way better on me than in these photos (but too lazy to do even a bathroom selfie):
Shorts: Pattern Runway Sweet Scalloped Shorts Repeat
I loved the first version of these (and still wear them). I’ve been meaning to make another pair for some time. I made two pair. I really love the very clear instructions, and I like the use of differing seam allowances (1/4 inch and 3/8ths inch) to eliminate trimming (which I rarely do evenly). I made a size medium (I wear 14 in big four, often larger). I also love the flattering lines and good fit.
I didn’t do the welt pockets. I started with the navy shorts, intending to do the welt pockets, but the fabric had too much stretch and all my stitching lines for the welts were warped and wavy (even with interfacing). I wanted to get these done, so I carefully picked out the work and moved on.
The navy shorts are a cotton twill from Fabric Mart fabrics. The fabric was super inexpensive, with more lycra than I would like. I struggled at times to manage the stretch. The fabric is what it is, and makes a fine pair of shorts. And yes, it looks like I need to press them again (ditto for the white).
The white shorts are amazing! This “pique texture” white cotton from Gorgeous Fabrics was perfect for this pattern. (I bought it early June, so I think there is still some left). I love the Milly/Marfy top with the white shorts! So summer!