Well, the ponte version of Butterick 6134 (last week’s shirt) revealed new fitting issues. I’ll continue to play around with this “muslin” though I hadn’t intended it to be a muslin. The rayon ponte is from Marcy Tilton – she does carry great knits!
Early morning bathroom selfies:
What I didn’t notice on the version from last week was the placement of the princess seams. Note that they are way to the outside of the bust apex. This pattern piece is essentially the same for all sizes in the envelop (size 6-14). And if it’s too wide on me, running between a size 12/14, imagine the fit on a narrower gal. I’m also a B cup, which is who the big 4 design for. This has the affect of making me look flat chested.
You can also see other issue areas. I have pulling now in the sleeve that I didn’t have before… I should mention that I folded out 1/2 inch in front and back on that middle piece, right above the point where the princess seam meets the sleeve to deal with the hollow chest. I also have some pulling toward the stomach (more planks, less wine?). And though you can’t see it well, the neck collapses/has too much fabric. What you see in the photo isn’t simply because my arm is raised. Better picture here:
I cant rescue this version. I hadn’t noticed the princess seams on last weeks version, so when I did them here, I serged – I have no fabric to play with. I can still play around with the sleeve and neck.
In any case I’m entertaining suggestions. Right now it’s really not working for me, but I love the lines on this enough I’d like to get to right!
And, if you’re wondering about my long string of failures… I have plenty of clothes (well enough) that I’m moving outside of my comfort zone. I’m trying new styles and new fabrics (too me). But I’m also finally tackling my most difficult area to fit – tops/shirts. I’ve been avoiding shirts, especially semi-fitted/fitted for a long time. I need to figure this out – as I have noticed that I have the same problem with dresses.