It’s hot and humid in Florida in the summer. But I’m headed to NYC for a few days, where the canyons can be just as miserable. What do I need? – a simple, pack-able dress. I bought the fabric with a long maxi in mind (before the trip was planned), but decided the pattern wasn’t right. I asked the fasters on the RTW fast FB page about a few options, but in the end, decided against a maxi. Enter Very Easy Vogue 8645 (c 2010).
This is a loose-fitting pullover dress, and without the sash and shoulder ties, strongly resembles some of the dresses on the Zulilly ads I see on my FB feed. The dress is comfy (has pockets), and I expect to make another, but with some modifications. I was too lazy to try to do selfies, so the pictures don’t really show how cute the dress is. The v-neck is relatively modest, compared to some v-necks from Vogue. The ties hold the fabric tighter against the skin, so the likelihood of a wardrobe malfunction is reduced.
The fabric: a sold out viscose challis from Marcy Tilton. I love the colors in it, but I’ve never worked with this type of fabric. It’s very soft, and very drapey. I will consider buying another viscose challis (especially for this pattern) now that I have a better feel for the fabric. I decided that a maxi in this floral could over whelm me, so I went with the shorter version of the dress.
I lined it with a cotton/poly batiste I bought from Susan Khalje. It’s softer and drapier than cotton batiste, but in the end, I still think it’s a bit too heavy and crisp for the viscose. I will go with a silk CDC or forgo lining it next time. If I skip the lining, I will use narrow facings for the neck and armholes.
By the way, the pattern recommends some crisper fabrics – batiste and handkerchief linen – but you’ll get a far different look.
Changes I made: I didn’t make many changes. Of the three that I did, two I will keep, the other go back to the original plan. I like that I did a narrow machine hem for both the lining and the dress – it’s a cleaner finish in the viscose. Second, I did not top-stitch the neck and armholes – I didn’t think it would work with the viscose. I decided to hand apply the lining to the dress, because I don’t always get a good result in the approach recommended in the directions (sew at arm holes and neck, pull through shoulders, then finish shoulders). I used the couture method from Susan Khalje which I have used successfully before. I don’t like the result as much this time (and doesn’t seem to be worth the effort, given the shoulders are hidden by the tie on straps).
A new dress (front on left, back on right).