No, I’m not that fast when it comes to sewing. Generally, the only time I can work on the machine is after the little one goes to bed. Amazingly, I can do handwork during daytime (non-work) hours. So I was able to work on the Marfy top and this dress concurrently.
But this dress didn’t work out so well, and I think it will go to the charity pile. I love the fabric, and in principle, I thought the dress would work for me. But it looks frumpy on – and adds pounds. In fact, I looked 6 months pregnant rather than just no longer having a flat tummy. (I have seen this dress on others and it was very flattering – I’m a bit of a pear, so perhaps it doesn’t work well with that figure).
The pattern: A 2017 release from McCall’s (7591). From the envelope: Misses dresses and sash. Fitted pullover dresses have lined bodice, front and back bodice variations, elastic waistlines and length variations. I made view c, adding the sash from view a. I bought the XS-S-M; a medium corresponds with a size 12/14, which is what I made.
The fabric: A very lovely silk jersey I bought from Emma One Sock in 2015. It reminded me of Pucci, and I was considering it for one of my Pucci patterns, but didn’t buy enough fabric. I love the fabric, though the print and colors are out of my comfort zone. Jersey is only one of the options listed, but you definitely want something drapey here.
Construction notes/changes I made: I cut a size medium (12/14) and added 1.5 inches at the torso lengthen/shorten line – my normal alteration – but I could have gone with 2 inches here. The recommended lining is tricot, which I didn’t have on hand, so I used self lining. I added bra carriers to keep the bra from showing. Otherwise, I went by the instructions. They were okay, but I’m thinking I could have done better had I not.
What worked/didn’t work: For me, the overall look didn’t work. What drew me to it was the neckline opening – and that was easy to do well. Anyway, what didn’t work- the slit is shorter than it appears on the envelope drawings, and won’t hang properly. The armholes are topstitched, but that (and the hem treatment) seemed to cheapen the dress. I can never get elastic distributed evenly – here there is better gathering in the back than the front. And those shoulders. I did them three times, finally by hand. This is something I cannot seem to master. The approach is to sew the neck and arm seams, fold back the lining on the shoulder seam line, stitch the shoulder seam and then slipstitch lining opening closed. It always looks homemade to me. I definitely got better results when I inserted the lining by hand with the previous two summer dresses. The sash could be wider.
You win some you lose some. I’ll set this aside for a couple of weeks and then try it on again and decide what to do with it.