Or, I finally finished something. Sewing has been taking a backseat to everything else. On top of that, I’ve decided to incorporate couture techniques from Susan Khalje’s Craftsy courses. It’s taking a while to finish anything.
I LOVE this dress. Not happy with the fit…. because I gained weight between the time of the muslin and finishing. You see, it’s not just sewing that’s taken a backseat, so has my diet and exercise program… I went for a long walk today, and am going to make it a priority again.
pattern description: Very Easy Vogue 8993 c2014. I bought this for something else, but never got around to it. Then I bought the linen, and it was a good match. From pattern: dress has neck band, cut in armholes, close-fitting lined bodice with side front and back seams, front pleated skirt, side pockets, back zipper and stitched hem. I made View B, the midi version, which is really closer to just above the ankle (and I’m 5’9″). I paired it with a slender silver-tone belt.
sizing: 8 through 16. I made a 12 in shoulders and bust and graded out approximately to a 14 at the waist and hips. I also made my standard torso length adjustment of about 1.5 inches added.
fabric: I LOVE the linens from Marcy Tilton. I don’t buy much else there, but I love it when she has linen. This one was a digital print, Copeland, which is now sold out. It’s light to mid-weight, drapey (when washed), soft. The weave is a little looser than I like – the grain shifted a bit on the collar, I’m afraid. I underlined the skirt with cotton batiste (from Susan Khalje). I underlined the top with silk organza (Gorgeous Fabrics) and lined the bodice with the batiste.
tips used during construction: I was watching Susan Khalje’s couture classes on Craftsy and used the couture techniques for the bodice. I did the skirt the “traditional” or pattern way (but really didn’t pay that much attention to those instructions). I used the instructions for the neck band/collar. I added a waist stay after an exchange with Ann at Gorgeous Fabrics.
instructions?: I didn’t really use them, except for the neck band. There has got to be a better way to attach the neckband for a better quality result. Here you sew the band, right sides together, trim, press and turn right sides out, stitch to bodice, slip stitch to the lining. Easy enough, but getting things perfect at the front – not easy. I want a nice clean line from the bodice to the band at the join, and that is a challenge to do well.
construction notes: I used a hybrid approach – home sewer techniques for the skirt and neck band, couture for the bodice and attaching the bodice to the skirt. I did machine stitch the invisible zipper. I feel like I got better quality results on the bodice all around. I was more accurate using stitching lines (instead of cutting lines) and I put in the best lining I have ever done putting it in by hand the way Susan shows in her videos. I always have difficulties with the arm holes – here perfect.
Even though this pattern is suitable for a lightweight denim, think about it before you do that. This is a light/mid linen, underlined with very light batiste. All the weight of the skirt is in the front – deep box pleats and pockets. When I attached the skirt to the bodice, the weight of the skirt pulled the front of the bodice down, causing unattractive drag lines and gapping at the arms. Ann at Gorgeous Fabrics suggested a petersham waist stay, which did the trick. I later found her blog post on the subject. The petersham, attached at seams and darts of the waist, takes on the weight of the skirt, relieving the pressure on the bodice and shoulders.
Speaking of stays, I used organza selvedges at the v-neck and shoulders to stabilize and prevent stretching in these areas. I also used a double layer of organza, sewn in, for the neckband interfacing. I did not top stitch the hem.
comments: I love this dress. I feel pretty in it, even if it’s a bit snug at the moment. Give me a couple of weeks on that. I will likely make this again, in the shorter version, with some design changes. One thing I’m going to add – lingerie/bra carriers. I didn’t realize they were showing in the photos.