Quick Tee: McCall 7127

A short post, from my mobile, as I’m packing for an extended trip.  Still, I found time to make a t-shirt with an interesting back. (Terrible shadows in the photos!)

Front
Back

This tee is very easy-it took no time at all.  I used my straight stitch machine and serged seams.  Instead of narrow hems, I serged the edges without trimming, folded over the hem allowances and top stitched 3/8 inch from ghe edge (7/8 on the sleeves).

My only quibble with the construction is that you hem the bottom of the front and back before sewing the side seams.  I don’t really care for the way that finishes the side seams.  I had to tack them down by hand. 

line art

I sewed a 12, view B, no alterations. This is closer fitting than I expected even in the arms (I have skinny arms).  It has no shaping at the bust or waist, so consider a muslin first.   It’s cute, but a little fussy.  Those back panels don’t like to stay just so.  

The fabric is an organic cotton jersey from Marcy Tilton purchased last summer.  Mid-weight and no rolling, it’s long sold out.  I love that she is thorough in her descriptions of the knits, including the rolling.

I am not sure how often I will wear this, and I won’t make this version again, but I am considering the version with the keyhole back.

No time for live shots, and you can see my final pressing still needs to be done.

 

Advertisements

Jean Skirt + Fun Tunic (McCalls 7392 +7390)

Yes, I made something with recently released patterns and fabric that I just purchased!  The fabric came from Emma One Sock: the denim is/was an Italian 2-way stretch cotton in bark; the tunic is/was an Italian silk linen blend in spring green. Both were amazing fabrics, so stunning and beautiful. The denim was very easy to work with (I used the reverse, which is solid brown), while the silk linen was more challenging – it’s very lightweight and I struggled with placing the stripes (I gave up on matching).

The skirt:  McCalls 7392. 

From McCall’s Website.

Don’t pay attention to the picture on the model.  It’s too big for her and doesn’t really reflect the way this skirt fits.  It’s supposed to fit at/slightly below the natural waist – it’s hanging on her.

This pattern is very easy.  The only really challenges are related to fabric choice, top-stitching and getting those snaps set right.  Two minor nit-picks with the directions – the stitching line on the pockets will not be where the pattern places them.  On the pattern piece, it’s perfect if you do not fold under the pocket flap edge as directed (otherwise, it’s 5/8th inch off).  Second, the directions tell you to stitch the front band on, but don’t really indicate that this should be for both the left and right side of the skirt.  It didn’t take long to figure out, but a novice might struggle.

I made view B, the length of view A, before you cut the scallops, with snaps.  New to me (because I’ve avoided them):  snaps, patch pockets, carriers.  I purchased three types of snaps before I found one that I could set without mangling them.  I really liked the ones from Wawak, but couldn’t get them set (without purchasing their >$100 tool); I ended up using Dritz #981.  The patch pockets were much easier than I expected. I followed the directions from my Vogue sewing book instead, where you top-stitch before hand slip-stitching the pocket to the skirt (reinforcing the top of the pocket to the skirt with the machine).  Last, I tried turning those denim carriers.  Yeah, right.  Ended up following directions I found on Collette Pattern’s blog.

 

I really like the skirt and am happy with my work.  I sewed a size 12, grading to 1/2 inch seams from the hip curve to the waistline.

The tunic (McCalls 7390).

https://i0.wp.com/cdn.sewologie.com/media/mccalls-m7390-i-425x584.jpeg
From McCall’s website

I fell for the picture on the package.  I like this tunic, and it’s comfy.  It’s not really what I wear much, but maybe that can change.  My five year old son complained that the stripes go in two different directions, and I must have made a mistake.

This is a super easy top to make.  Still, I made a muslin, and decided to cut the shoulders and upper torso a 10, grading to a 12 at the waist and a 14 at the hip.  Perhaps too much ease – it’s rather big through the small of the back.

One thing of note on the pattern:  ignore the bust point. It’s totally in the wrong place, unless bodies have changed recently. It’s two inches too low, and two inches or so in the direction of the armpit.  When I did the muslin, I was baffled for a bit at how “off” the fit must be.

I like the top, but I probably won’t wear it with the skirt so much.  It hides the interesting details in the skirt.  It also looks better with my Lily Pulitzer white linen beach pants (which is how I styled it yesterday.)