Contemporary Tops

Calling it quits on McCall’s M6963

I don’t like to give up, but this is one time I will.  McCall’s 6963 has been well reviewed elsewhere.  Given my success with another Palmer Pletsch top, I thought it would work for me.  It just does not.  Here’s the line art: I made view C, with short sleeves in a super comfy awesome […]

General Sewing Tops

Help from my fellow sewists!

I’m making McCalls 6755, the top, in silk charmeuse. It’s an easy make, even with the slippery fabric.   I’m doing French seams and finishing the edges of the facings with a hong kong finish.  I ran into two problems. First, the button placket.  I followed the directions, but you can see how awful it […]

Contemporary Dresses

The Luau Maxi Dress that Wasn’t

Because I didn’t buy enough fabric and I ran out of time. The party was two weeks ago. I finished it yesterday. The inspiration and pattern choice: I had a vision of what I wanted from this dress, and I almost got there.  I’d seen the Sloane maxi dress from Lily Pulitzer and thought I […]